Mercy Pretends To Be a Chef

First, y'all should know I'm writing this post while listening to a playlist of Disney Princess songs.  This is my true self.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello, y'all!! :)  Last week, I attended a 50's dance, and I had to bring some kind of sweet to the party.  Now normally, I'll just reach for my trusty ol' recipe, the chocolate chip cookie.  However, I was feeling a bit more adventurous and wanted to try something new!  :)  That decision led to me browsing Pinterest (my new best friend).  And while browsing Pinterest,  I SAW IT.  The most amazing cookie in the world, and no, I'm not exaggerating one bit.

The Oreo Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookie.

(It deserved italics and larger font, trust me.)  And before I started cooking, I had the most brilliant idea!  I'd share this cookie with y'all, too!! :)  So please join me on my cooking adventure!

Here is where I found the original recipe if you would just like to read that. :)

First things first, I read all the ingredients needed and gathered them together.  You will need:

  • 1 cup of softened butter (2 sticks)
  • 3/4 cup of packed light brown sugar
  • 1 cup of granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
  • 3 and 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 package Double Stuff Oreo cookies (or however so many cookies you decide to make, you'll need that many Oreos)
  • You will also need a large mixing bowl, a medium mixing bowl, an ice cream scoop, and a mixer.  

Just so y'all know, I doubled the recipe because I needed a lot of cookies at this party.  So when you see my pictures below, you'll notice that instead of 3/4 cup of packed light brown sugar, I used 1 and 1/2 cups of light brown sugar.  :)

*dramatically lip syncs to "Mother Knows Best" from Tangled*

Like a true chef, I gathered all my ingredients and laid them out on the counter, to make sure I wasn't missing anything.


First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  
Second, gather your butter, brown sugar, and granulated regular sugar all in the large mixing bowl.  Mix it together with the mixer until it is well combined.  Afterwards, beat in the eggs and vanilla.


 Brown sugar yum yum yum.  Don't forget to pack it down!!  Otherwise, there will be air pockets inside. :)



Doesn't this look positively appetizing?  Brown sugar and butter.  You'll need the microwave the butter to melt it, but as you see, I didn't melt it entirely.  There were a few chunks of soft butter in there.
The sugar has been added!


 This is what it looked like once I finished with the mixer.  A grainy texture, but there were no lumps in it.  Everything had been thoroughly combined.  

So for some reason, all my eggs were double yolked...but it didn't make a difference in the cookies. :P

VANILLA SMELLS SO GOOD OKAY.  
As you can see, once I mixed in the eggs, the texture lost its grainy-ness and became much smoother.  :)

Third, in the medium bowl, carefully mix the flour, salt, and baking soda together.  After you have finished, slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, along with the chocolate chips, until everything is mixed together!  I unfortunately did not realize that I did not have 4 cups (2 cups if you aren't doubling the recipe) of semi-sweet chocolate chips until I was measuring them out.  I had to substitute some milk chocolate chips, and I almost had 4 cups with those added.  It all ended fine, though! :)

For this mixing, I had to use my hands to finish the job because the mixture became so thick and the mixer wasn't able to break up some of the lumps.  This is why I don't have any photos from this step.  :P

*pauses to listen to the beauty of "The Tear Heals" when Rapunzel saves Eugene. <3 <3 <3*

Fourth, once you have finished mixing everything together, use the ice cream scoop to create two small balls of dough.  Place an Oreo cookie between the two balls and smoosh them together!  However, this is where I had to leave the recipe.  I tried this and I realized that it was not working for me.  I think my ice cream scoop was way too big.  Instead, I used my hands, which was slightly difficult and very messy, but it ended up alright!  The dough, once it warms up in your hands, tries to stick to them, so it can be a bit hard to make a ball around the Oreo cookie.  


MY GORGEOUS COOKIES.


As you can see, they were very very big.


But very very beautiful.

Lastly, place the cookies on a baking sheet as shown above and cook them for about 13 minutes or until they are golden brown.  I had to cook mine a bit longer, more along the lines of 15 to 18 minutes, most likely due to their large size.  After they have finished cooking, allow them to cool for about 5 minutes and then transfer them to a cooling rack.


THE BEAUTIFUL RESULT.  (please ignore my egg shells in the sink thank you.)

As you can see, they ended up being very very wide and somewhat flat with a lump where the Oreo was, not quite like the cookies in the recipe pictures.  If I make these another time, I might try placing them in muffin pans to give them a more rounded shape.  However, I will probably have to increase the cooking time to about 20+ minutes and test them as they cook.  

Well, I hope you enjoyed this post!!!  Let me know if you try out these cookies!  If any of you decide to go along the muffin pan route, I'd love to know how they turn out!  Thank you!  Love y'all! <3

My 50's dance attire.  Post credits from Snapchat. 

*finishes with a flourish with the "At Last I See the Light" from Tangled*






2 comments:

Gracie said...

Oh my goodness, what a fabulous idea! I absolutely love your blog and love all the food posts! Disney music + baking = the best pastime ever ;)

I have experimented with putting chocolate chip cookie dough in muffin pans, although I added extra baking powder to make them fluffier and more "muffinlike," and the results were delicious! :)

Love your blog!! <3

Hannah F said...

Mmmmmmm, I can even smell them I want to try them so bad! You look gorgeous in your dance outfit; glad you had fun!