College Life

Hey girls!

So here I am again, after several months of not blogging, for which I apologize, but then again, it was really, really good for me.  As most of you probably know, I just completed my freshmen year at Christendom College!!  *cheering*  I thought it'd be nice to post a bit about my college experience as well as my tips for rising college freshmen!

College, for me, was amazing.  It was also a pretty big change, but these can actually go hand-in-hand more often than you think!  For my entire school life, I was home-schooled.  I never attended an outside class, I never went to a co-op.  Any experience with an "outside" teacher and classmates was from online classes with my program, so it was still actually within my own home.  So as you can imagine, jumping from this to full-blown college was more than a little insane.  But surprisingly, this insanity easily blended into my life.  After 2 weeks at college, Christendom felt like home.  After spending 9 months there, I can honestly tell you, Christendom is home.  Of course, I'm also now at home with my family, but when I go back to Christendom this coming fall, it'll be like another homecoming.

I learned a lot from my first year at college.  Of course, I learned a lot academically, but I learned a lot about the world, about people, and about myself.  If you think you have your whole life and who you are worked out, trust me, your world is going to get turned upside-down.  (In a good way, you have my word.)  And I'm just saying this as an almost-sophomore!  Who knows what my life and I will look like as seniors!  Therefore, I would like to present to you a variety of things I learned from my first year at college and a few helpful tips that might make your adjustment a bit smoother and less nerve-wracking.  :)  Of course, this might not apply to everyone as you are all unique persons who will have different experiences!  And it's definitely not an infallible, comprehensive list.  But it's just my thoughts on this subject. :)

College Isn't Scary


Okay maybe a little but I PROMISE some scary things are good for you.  

1.  Keep an open mind.  I know that for some of you, routine is vital to life.  And you are about to change everything, and it seems terrifying and awful and maybe you even are dreading it.  But I promise you, college is a good change.  As a teen approaching adulthood, you're reaching a time when you are wanting to start being more independent, start doing things more "your way."  But if you're like me, you live with the rest of your family, and sometimes, this wish just can't be reasonably fulfilled.  That's where college steps in!  You can start being more independent, with your own meals and activities, your own little room, how you manage your time, etc.  But you still have someone looking over you, whether it's your parents from afar, your lovely RA, or even some of your professors!  So keep an open mind with this change.  Sure, you might miss your old habits, but developing new ones is a lot of fun. :) 

2.  (This is a funny hint.) BUY A REUSABLE WATER BOTTLE AND LOTS OF GUM.  If you're homeschooled like I was, you just had a single cup of water that you refilled all day.  Your sink was constantly available, never more than a few steps away.  College is different.  There is no sink nearby (unless you're in your dorm), and it's just illogical to carry a cup everywhere you go.  You are going to need a water bottle that can hold a decent amount of water, enough to last you for at least a couple of hours, and one you can easily refill.  Do NOT let yourself get dehydrated!  It can cause grumpiness, headaches, fatigue, a dry mouth... and none of those things are very pleasant.  As for the gum, sometimes you just get a nasty taste in your mouth.  At home, you can just pop into the bathroom, swig around a mouthful of mouthwash or brush your teeth, and voila!  At college.... eh, not so much.  Keeping gum in your backpack is super handy, and plus, it can help you stay awake during a class if need be!  

3.  Okay, so here is a more serious tip.  Friendships are going to change.  There are going to be a lot of little "sub-hints" under this one. 
  • You are in an entirely different place, with a new set of people, most of whom don't know each other or even anybody, so people are going to reach out to each other for friendships.  Please, for your own sake, when you arrive at college, don't seclude yourself for those first few weeks, texting and calling your friends back home, as a sort of comfort to your nervous self.  While you might not find "your group" or your college best friend in your first month, you are going to establish a lot of important friendships that will help you get through freshmen year, but you have to put in the time and effort!  I know you love and miss your friends back home, but these are people you are going to be spending the next four years of your life with.  Try to make a good impression and it can help so much! 
  • You need to have a talk with your old friends.  I know you want to keep your past friendships, and you can!  But you need to establish a few things before college just so people understand what might happen.  College life is busy, to say the least.  Maybe you previously planned to do a phone call with an old friend every week, but you can't predict your future.  Exams hit, papers are due, you try out for a play, suddenly you're on the soccer team...  Like I said, college is just different.  So to avoid any hurt feelings, tell your friends before you leave that you will talk to them when you can, but your vocation now is studying, and it's important to make solid friends in this new life, because you're stuck there a while.  That way, they know that when you don't text for a few days, or a call is put on hold for a while, it's not because you're avoiding them.  It's just because you're busy!  They will understand, trust me. :)


4.  Put effort into your friendship with your roommates.  I know that you are living with her, but that doesn't mean a friendship is going to automatically appear.  You have to put time into it, whether it's ice cream outings, doing homework together, heart-to-heart talks before bed, doing errands together, movie nights...  This is a friendship like any other.  You have to work for it.  

5.  Exercise, even if you don't want to.  My college friends are so going to call me out on this... xD  I hate exercising.  I actually hate it.  If I'm stressed, I definitely don't exercise.  I drink coffee, get back to more school and then normally end up freaking out at the end of the night.  So as you can see... my method is a failure. xD  Instead, go for a quick run, play volleyball with some friends, stretch, do something to get your blood moving!  It will do you a world of good. :)


6.  Get yourself involved in at least 1 club or extracurricular!  If you spend all your time every week just doing homework and then trying to find something fun to do last minute when you en up having spare time, you're going to burn yourself out.  Sign up for a club or an extracurricular that does something weekly!  That way, you are forced to give yourself a break during a school night, and you broaden your circle to meet more people.  Plus, it gives you some great memories!  

Well, that's it!  A short (sorta) list about a few tips that I wish someone told me before I went to college.  :)  I hope that you can take something from this to help you during your approaching future!



Love,
Mercy


0 comments: