A Week w/o Internet - DAY 7

 Here is a relevant picture of Michael Scott.



ANYWAYSOMG WE MADE IT. FINAL DAY. HALLELUJAH.
I can't tell you how awesome this challenge was for me, and I bet Belle would say the same. After the video, we're both going to answer some questions about the overall effectiveness of this challenge and if it had a good effect on the both of us!







CAROLINE SAYS:

Q. How do you feel your overall productivity changed? WHOA did my productivity change. I’d say I cut my working time in half, and because I was focused, my papers were on point(meaning that my thoughts were coherent and relevant to the subject matter:). There’s something almost cathartic about getting all your work done, like when you take off a band-aid or something. The process is painful, but worth it.


Q. Did you have more meaningful interactions with people in general. I’d say YES. Mostly because without being on social media or anything, I was truly present to whoever was in front of me. Or at least I felt like it. I am naturally a bit spacey. xD

Q. Did this challenge change your perspective on the internet? I’ve always thought of the internet as a double-edged sword, but this challenge just confirmed it. I say a double-edged sword, because on one hand, it enables me to do a lot of research and chat with friends who don’t live in the same state that I do, but on the other hand, I get sidetracked by that cute dress I saw on Pinterest. Ya feel?


 Q. Out of all the things you gave up, what was hardest? PINTEREST. WITHOUT A DOUBT. But YouTube is a close second, because I always watch like cooking tutorials or whatever. DIY nerd over here.


BELLE SAYS:

Q. How do you feel your overall productivity changed? I think overall the main thing that helped me be more productive was not going on the internet when I woke up. I'm the kind of person who's alarm goes off and then I scroll through Facebook for 10 mins before getting up and then discover that I have very little time to get ready as a result. Once I stopped checking my social media in the morning I was able to get ready faster. Besides improving the productivity of my morning, limiting my internet also helped me to be way more diligent in school! Whenever I get bored I usually end up checking Snapchat or something like that to distract myself. 10 minutes later I've sent various horrifying selfies to my sister and have made very little progress school wise. :P In short, no internet = less distractions = a productive and happy Isabelle! :D

Q. Did you have more meaningful interactions with people in general? I want to say yes, but honestly I think it probably stayed about the same. At my Dual Credit classes I don't usually talk to a lot of people anyway, so that area stayed the same. However, I think I did have more time to talk with my yougner sibblings. So I take that back, I did have more meaningful interactions.

Q. Did this challenge change your perspective on the internet? OH MY GOSH YES. I have never really seen the internet as a negative thing for me personally. But after I eliminated it out of my daily life, I was able to see how it DID have an effect on my mood. My biggest pet peeve about the internet is that people can be very two-faced. I guess I've been noticing this a lot more with some of my immediate friends. In addition to people being two-faced, I've noticed that when my friends express their frustration on the internet, regardless of if they are justified or not, I find myself becoming angry. (especially with all that's going on with the presidential election.) It's not even that my friends are wrong, their points are totally valid ones! However, I get really frustrated when ALL of my friends are posting about the same negative thing. It not only makes me frustrated, but it also drastically changes my mood for the rest of the day. So after I took a step back from the internet, I realized that I didn't want to have to read and see that kind of negativity every day, even if the arguments being made were right. It's not that I don't like these friends, it's just that after doing this challenge, I've decided to not surround myself with that kind of negativity. And that's just negativity from my friends, that's not even touching on the negativity spread around through other areas of the internet! XD I've realized that the internet is an amazing tool, but just like Caroline said, it's a double-edged sword.

Q. Out of all the things you gave up, what was the hardest? Facebook and Pinterest were my hardest things to give up! They're always my top two sites I end up going to when I'm bored. But let's be honest, there were moments when I missed all my different social media sites... XD 


Thanks for following us on our challenge, and if you want us to do more of these or more vlogs in the future, just let us know!

Much love,
Caroline + Belle

0 comments: